COVID-19 Appointment Information and Procedure Updates
Get the latest updates for all appointments and procedures at Johns Hopkins.
About our practice:
The Lupus Center specializes in the care of patients with Lupus and Antiphospholipid Syndrome. It is our goal to provide excellent clinical care while seeking to better understand the causes, and ways to control both Lupus and APS.
The Lupus Center is run by Dr. Michelle Petri, who is an attending physician and full time faculty member at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. She is Board Certified in Rheumatology. In addition to clinical care, Dr. Petri is actively involved in clinical research.
Scheduling an appointment
Appointments can be made by calling (443) 997-1552 between 9:30am and 4pm Monday through Friday after you are approved as a new patient.
To become a new patient, the following is needed:
- Faxed copies of all the medical records since your diagnosis to 410-367-2371.
- Completed copy of the lupus center questionnaire
- A year-by-year health summary of your medical diagnosis, treatment and how you have done since the onset of your illness.
- Please arrive 60 minutes prior to your appointment to allow time for pre-registration.
- Bring a list of all present medications (include names and dosages).
- Bring your insurance cards.
If you are a returning patient:
- Please arrive 30 minutes before your appointment.
- Bring a copy of your insurance cards.
Rescheduling Appointments and Cancellations:
Our clinic is very busy and unfortunately patients often have to wait several months for an appointment. If you need to reschedule, please call us at 443-997-1552 at least two working days in advance. This will allow us to schedule another patient who is waiting to be seen. Failure to come to three follow-up appointments will mean we are no longer able to schedule future visits.
Late, Canceled and No Show Appointments
Late: The appointment time scheduled for you is time specifically allotted for your visit. If you are running late for an appointment, please call our scheduling office. Please note if you are more than 15 minutes late for your scheduled appointment time, we may not be able to accommodate your visit.
Canceled / No Show: If you are unable to keep your appointment we require a minimum of 24 hours’ notice. If you repeatedly do not provide our office with 24 hours’ notice, you may be subject to be discharged from our practice.
Our normal clinic hours are Monday – Friday 7:30am-5:00pm. Our normal phone hours are Monday – Friday 9:00 AM -4:00 PM.
Our Office is closed for the following Holidays:
- New Year’s Eve
- New Year’s Day
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day (July 4th when it falls on a regular business day, the Friday before when it falls on Saturday, or the Monday after when it falls on Sunday)
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Day after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Eve
- Christmas Day (December 25th when it falls on a regular business day, the Friday before when it falls on Saturday, or the Monday after when it falls on Sunday)
There may be other posted days that are closed due to divisional activities and/or professional development. That information will be provided on all divisional voicemails.
After-Hours, Weekends and Holidays Calls
- If you are experiencing a medical emergency after-hours, please call 911 or go to your nearest urgent care facility or emergency department.
- If your need is a medical management question that cannot wait until our next business day, we offer an On-Call Provider to help you. Our On-Call Provider may be paged by calling our answering service at 410-955-6070.
Inclement Weather and Unexpected Closings
- It is the policy of Johns Hopkins Medicine to reasonably maintain outpatient clinical operations; however, due to weather or other unexpected closings, such as an area-wide power outage or water main break, there may be times when it is necessary to close our office.
- Our closing notices will be provided for you via our voicemail recording and our staff will contact you if we are not able to keep your appointment, let you know what we are experiencing, and when we may be looking to reschedule your visit.
Insurance / Billing Information
Please visit this site for important insurance information related to your visit.
It is a good idea to check with your insurance to make sure you are covered for your visit and services with us. Please be prepared to pay your copay and any balance due at the time of your visit. We accept VISA, MASTERCARD, DISCOVER, AMERICAN EXPRESS, and CHECKS.
Non participating insurance/self-pay:
We realize that insurance may not always cover care at Johns Hopkins. With the exception of Medicare Advantage and Medicaid plans, patients may have the ability to pay out-of-pocket for non-covered services. Patients scheduled for new patient appointments are required to pay a $600 deposit at the time of service. Patients scheduled for return visits are required to pay a $289 deposit at the time of service.
Prescription Policies and Prescription Refills
In order for our office to provide you with timely refills, please request your medication refills at least one week in advance. Refill requests may be made via a myChart message to your provider, calling our office, or by receiving a fax from your pharmacy.
The only documentation regarding your health or illness required by law (and included in the office visit charge) is an office visit note. Completing paperwork for schools, camps, Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) claims, long-term care, life insurance, the Department of Veterans’ Affairs, and other disability claims go beyond routine medical care and may require an update of your medical information or a special examination. In order to make this determination, please forward your form(s) to our office prior to your scheduled visit. For those forms that can be completed outside of a clinical visit, please allow a minimum of 5 business days for your completed form to be returned to you.